Tart Cherries – A real superfood
Tart cherries recently featured on the Dr Oz. show which discussed several health benefits based on published scientific research (see below). They are high in antioxidants, provide superior cardiovascular protection, have powerful anti-inflammatory properties and are one of the few known foods to contain melatonin, which helps regulate sleep. Below are some of the amazing properties of tart cherries.
Health Benefits of Tart Cherries
- Influence of tart cherry juice on indices of recovery following marathon running. Scand J Med Sci Sports.2010 Dec;20(6):843-52. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0838.2009.01005.x.
- Efficacy of a tart cherry juice blend in preventing the symptoms of muscle damage. Br J Sports Med.2006 Aug;40(8):679-83; discussion 683. Epub 2006 Jun 21.
- Cherry juice targets antioxidant potential and pain relief. Med Sport Sci.2012;59:86-93. doi: 10.1159/000341965. Epub 2012 Oct.
- Consumption of cherries lowers plasma urate in healthy women. J Nutr.2003 Jun;133(6):1826-9.
- Tart cherry anthocyanins suppress inflammation-induced pain behaviour in rats. Behav Brain Res.2004 Aug 12;153(1):181-8.
- Sour Cherry (Prunus cerasus L) Anthocyanins as Ingredients for Functional Foods. J Biomed Biotechnol.2004;2004(5):253-258.
- Effect of tart cherry juice (Prunus cerasus) on melatonin levels and enhanced sleep quality. Eur J Nutr.2012 Dec;51(8):909-16. doi: 10.1007/s00394-011-0263-7. Epub 2011 Oct 30.
- Effects of a tart cherry juice beverage on the sleep of older adults with insomnia: a pilot study. J Med Food.2010 Jun;13(3):579-83. doi: 10.1089/jmf.2009.0096.
- Detection and quantification of the antioxidant melatonin in Montmorency and Balaton tart cherries (Prunus cerasus). J Agric Food Chem.2001 Oct;49(10):4898-902.
- Effect of a tart cherry juice supplement on arterial stiffness and inflammation in healthy adults: a randomised controlled trial. Plant Foods Hum Nutr.2014 Jun;69(2):122-7. doi: 10.1007/s11130-014-0409-x.
- Tart cherry juice inducs differential dose-dependent effects on apoptosis, but not cellular proliferation, in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. J Med Food.2012 Nov;15(11):945-54. doi: 10.1089/jmf.2011.0336. Epub 2012 Oct 11.
- Perillyl alcohol induces c-Myc-dependent apoptosis in Bcr/Abl-transformed leukemia cells. 2006;70(1):13-8. Epub 2006 Jan 26.